As an IT service provider, my company Fresh Mango relies heavily on remote access tools to provide our customers with quick desktop support. For years our weapon of choice has been LogMeIn and so we have a lot of time and money invested in it, after seven years however: we’re moving to BeAnywhere.
In the hope it well help others considering what support tool to go for and in the vein hope LogMeIn will take on-board some of my comments and sort their act out, I decided to do a brief write up. Separately I have written real world review of BeAnywhere here which you can read in my blog post here.
It would appear that I am not alone in my frustrations either, Bruce Beris has posted an excellent piece here detailing his reasons for leaving LogMeIn: http://www.brucebnews.com/2015/04/leaving-logmein/
As with any business, we’re always looking at our outgoings and recently, despite no real innovation or increase in features or functionality, our LogMeIn Central price went from $300 per year to around £1500 per year, an increase of 500%.
What I dislike most about this is that we only found out about the price increase a few weeks before so had no time to move all of our clients to a different platform – this is essentially extortion.
In an article on MSPmentor, a LogMeIn spokesman said:
One of the biggest changes with this move is the elimination of purchasing individual seats of LogMeIn Pro (for host computers) separate from Central. Historically, Central customers would be purchasing two SKUs – the Central management console and individual LogMeIn Pro seats, which would be installed on every computer they managed. Our customers regularly voiced concerns around the inherent complexity in that model
Despite these increases, as another user notes here, without ALSO paying for the Pro version of the LogMeIn Client, half of the features touted in LogMeIn Central (update management, alerts & monitoring, etc.) are unavailable.
Given the issues we’ve had with LogMeIn (see below) and with no new features to justify the cost, this was the last straw for us.
We spoke to BeAnywhere and explained the situation and they were willing to give us a slight discount because during the transition we’d be paying for both services. We are now on BeAnywhere’s better, more feature-rich platform for less money than the basic functionality of LogMeIn.
Unfortunately as a web interface, its really lacking some basic functionality such as:
There’s only one bulk action: delete. If you want to move a bunch of machines to a group at the same time, you can’t, you have to do them one by one.
Single Tier Groups
At present you can only have one tier of groups which – if you have a lot of customers – simply isn’t enough. BeAnywhere allows for a hierarchy (see BeAnywhere review here).
There’s no quick way to count how many machines there are in total or in a specific group).
LogMeIn Client (AKA Ignition)
The LogMeIn Ignition app, which should be a beacon of light in terms of quick and easy remote access, has unfortunately been plagued with bugs, many of which have never been solved.
Unless you pay a premium on top of the already extortionate LogMeIn Central pricing, it also has a very limited feature set, simple file transfer for example should be a given, as well as a basic overview of the specification of the system you are working on.
I’ve outlined some of the bugs that I can remember below (will update as I remember more!):
LogMeIn Client (AKA Ignition) Saved Passwords Problem
When saving the username and password for some computers in Ignition, it seems to store them incorrectly. You can return only five minutes later, try and connect to a machine only to receive the dreaded ‘Login Failed’ error.
If you get that, you can assume Ignition will never successfully save the password you are trying to store, no matter how many times you try.
Your only option is to right click the machine, go to Properties and click ‘Forget Stored Credentials’ then enter the details manually every time forever more. While I’ve never tested it, I’m pretty sure this only affects passwords with uppercase letters – yep that’s right, I don’t think LogMeIn Client’s password store is case sensitive.
LogMeIn Client (AKA Ignition) Sorting Problem
A recent update to LogMeIn Client caused the client to lose sorting sorting of the companies/group – we have A LOT of companies and finding a specific one is now a nightmare.
At the time of writing there is still no fix released (but fortunately some clever peeps found a workaround and passed it on to me), despite it having been a known bug for several weeks and lots of paying customers complaining about it.