My wife and I used to make this when we lived in the BVI, we soon started getting asked to make them when invited to dinner at friends houses. Its a simple version of a Tiramisu but when we sampled a lot of Tiramisus in Italy, we found it held up pretty well (it was better than most!).
8 x Medium Eggs with yolks and whites separated
66g of Sugar
450g of Mascarpone Cheese
250ml of Double Cream
2 x Cups of Strong Espresso Coffee
250ml of Brandy
30 Ladyfingers (Sponge Fingers)
50g of Dark Choloclate
High Quality Cocoa Powder
- Mix the sugar into the egg yolks, blending well.
- Add a little Mascarpone at a time to the egg yolk mixture, and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Set this aside as well.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the egg yolk mixture, then fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Spread about 1/3 of the cream mixture of a 4-6 quart glass baking dish or serving bowl.
- Place espresso coffee in a large mixing bowl, and combine with the brandy.
- Dip a lady finger into the espresso, lay it in baking dish on cream mixture.
- Top with grated chocolate.
- Continue in this manner, laying lady fingers side by side to cover the bottom.
- Place another 1/3 of cream mixture on top of soaked lady fingers.
- Cover this with another layer of espresso-soaked lady fingers.
- Top with remaining cream mixture and grated chocolate.
- Dust final layer with grated chocolate and cocoa powder.
- Chill 2 hours to set.